**This Unit should take approximately 20 instructional days**
By the end of the unit students should be able to understand that...
- There 8 mathematical practice standards that guide students in problem solving.
- To simplify an expression following the order of operations is key (including combining like terms and the distributive property).
- Absolute Value represents the distance from zero.
- Modeling integers is useful to representing a number in a multitude of ways.
- Subtraction of integers is equivalent to adding the opposite (inverse) of a value.
- There is an algorithm to aid in the process of solving integer problems.
- Rewriting an expression in different forms can show how the quantities in it are related.
- Verbal expressions can be converted into algebraic expressions.